|Thirteen of Anya Bast’s Favorite Movies (in no particular order and with quotes)
1. The Red Violin — A special red violin makes its way through time and over the world, spreading passion and inspiration to all who play her.
“What do you do when the thing you most wanted, so perfect, just comes?”
2. Roman Holiday — Audrey Hepburn! This is actually only one of many of my favorite classic films.
3. A Shark’s Tale — I adore this one. A shark who truly is a peace loving vegetarian tries to make his way in life.
“Now that you’re the Sharkslayer, does this mean you’re leaving your job at the whale wash?”
4. V for Vendetta — I loved this movie. It always makes me cry, though.
“It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having.”
5. Drop Dead Gorgeous — A very dark comedy set in a small Minnesota town. It’s a “documentary” of a teenage beauty pagant. Hilarious.
Voice of Documentarian: So what was the theme of the pageant last year?
6. L.A. Story — An older movie, very touching.
“Why is it that we don’t always recognize the moment when love begins but we always know when it ends?”
7. Ladyhawke — Yes, it has cheesy eighties musis. I don’t care.
“Maybe I’m dreaming. My eyes are open, which means maybe I’m awake dreaming that I’m asleep. Or, or more likely, I’m asleep dreaming that I’m awake wondering if I’m dreaming.”
8. Blade Runner — A SF classic
“The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long – and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.”
9. Donnie Darko — This is a movie that really screws with your mind and will have you thinking about it for a long time after “the end”.
“If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories.”
10. A Fish Called Wanda — A classic comedy
“It’s K-K-K-Ken c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me.”
11. Zoolander — Never fails to make me completely incapacitated with laughter.
“Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?”
12. The Big Lebowski — a hilarious and oddly Buddhist movie (with copious amounts of swearing).
“Nihilists! Fu** me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it’s an ethos.”
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!