Thirteen Things I do when I have writer’s block
1. Go back through the synopsis and my notes to figure out if I mucked up somewhere and clogged the flow of the story.
2. Sit down and have a tete-a-tete with the main characters. Interview them. Try to locate any muckups.
If the first two fail, I…
3. Take a drive. I don’t know why but driving helps me think about my writing.
4. Take a walk, either outside or on the treadmill.
5. Call a friend who will brainstorm/talk plot with me.
6. Listen to music. I can’t listen to music while I’m writing. It has to be an independent activity.
7. Even better, listen to music while I clean the house. I hate to admit that cleaning the toilet jogs me free of writer’s block sometimes, but it does. Must be those scrubbing bubbles (or are those for showers? I forget)
8. Watch a movie. It makes my mind travel different roads.
9. Read a book. Same deal. I never read a book in the same genre I’m writing, though.
10. Talk it out with husband, who invariably comes up with an idea. If it’s a good idea and I use it, he’s very proud and happy and tells everyone. If the idea doesn’t work for the plot and I don’t use it, he’s disappointed and tells everyone. Use with extreme caution.
11. Sit outside with a nice glass of red wine. I like this one the best.
12. Take a long bubble bath. This one’s pretty damn good too.
13. Blog or write a poem. Sometimes writing about something else jars the block free.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
3. Rene Lyons
9. Sparky Duck
10. Lauren Dane
12. N.J. Walters
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!